Modern touches

I've always loved the juxtaposition of the modern with the classical and we're seeing a lot of that latey here in DC. One of my favorite buildings is the Wilson building, otherwise known as the District Building, which houses the offices of the Mayor and city council on 14th street.
The beaux arts facade with the crisp glass curtain wall always drew my attention. Both are great examples of their style and together just are that much more interesting. The original structure was built between 1904 and 1908 and the extensive renovation which includes the glass additions was completed in 2001.Recently I was able to view the interiors. The original building was a U shape which has been filled in with the 'glass box' you see on the exterior, but also leaving this interior atrium. What a great space this creates! I love that the modern additions respect the original structure both in scale and by not overpowering them. They work together as a team rather than fighting one another.
This interesting statue was inside the atrium; a gift from the people of Thailand to the citizens of Washington, DC to celebrate July 4th in 1945 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong on the year). It certainly adds some vibrant color to the very neutral tones in the building. Do you like this mix of old and new together, or do you prefer things to be one or the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment